Resources for Civil/Family Court Judges
Faculty Manual (PDF)
PowerPoint Slides with Suggested Commentary (.ppt)
The "download" link above will download the PDF version of the presentation. To download the PowerPoint file, click here.
Case Study Exercises
Hanover v. Hanover
This is a family court case where petitioner seeks an Order of Protection following a violent sexual assault by her husband.
Phelan v. Tate
In this case Ms. Phelan is seeking a permanent order of protection against her ex-boyfriend Mr. Tate. The parties have never been married and a previous temporary order of protection was issued, but Ms. Phelan is seeking a permanent order after Mr. Tate coerced her to have sex in exchange for child support.
Magnus v. Magnus
In this case, Ms. Magnus, a stay-at-home mother, is filing for divorce, seeking monetary relief from her husband and a larger portion of the marital assets for years of cruel and inhumane treatment. Ms. Magnus seeks full custody of their three children. The allegations against Mr. Magnus include 43 instances of sexual assault.
Galvan v. Galvan
Ms. Galvan is an immigrant woman appearing pro se before the court seeking an order of protection. She neither speaks nor understands English and is fearful that either she or her husband will be deported if she presses charges against him for sexual assault.
Survivor Video Clip and Transcript
This four-minute video clip is drawn from the Department of Justice, Office of Victims of Crime DVD Victim Impact: Listen and Learn. The clip is excerpted from an interview with a survivor of nearly lethal domestic violence and intimate partner sexual abuse. She states that the sexual abuse was even more emotionally destructive than the death threats because of the betrayal of trust. The sexual abuse, she states, “…was probably the most painful, and still probably the, the hardest to get past.”
This video clip is a very effective way to began any module. Suggested Commentary is located in the Faculty Manual for each module.
Transcript of Video Clip
It is useful to distribute the transcript of the video clip so program participants fully absorb the impact of intimate partner sexual abuse.
To play the video clip, it is necessary to have A/V equipment with speakers.
The Intimate Partner Sexual Abuse modules include extensive resources that are intended to be burned onto a CD and distributed. This download contains a compilation of eighteen articles that will be useful to anyone wanting more information about intimate partner sexual violence in the domestic violence context and adult victim sexual assault in general. The resources are organized as an Annotated Table of Contents. Each citation is a hyperlink to the full text of the resource. Users do not need to be connected to the internet to link to these texts.
At your program, provide the Annotated Table of Contents from the Resources CD as a handout. This will immediately show participants the wealth of resources available to them and may give them an incentive to explore the Resources CD on their own.
To create the Resources CD
- Download the "Resources" zip file and the "Resources CD Label" PDF file
- Create a new folder titled “Intimate Partner Sexual Abuse: Adjudicating This Hidden Dimension of Domestic Violence Cases Resources CD”
- Move the downloaded zip file and the CD Label into the new folder
- Insert a blank CD and, when prompted, burn the Intimate Partner Sexual Abuse: Adjudicating This Hidden Dimension of Domestic Violence Cases Resources CD folder to the CD
To print the CD Label
- Purchase Avery CD label paper at an office supply store or online at http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/.
- Put the Avery paper into any regular printer, print the PDF onto it and affix to the CD.
- Distribute the Resources CD with the appropriate label and copyright information.
- National Judicial Education Program, Web Course Flyer for Intimate Partner Sexual Abuse: Adjudicating this Hidden Dimension of Domestic Violence Cases (PDF)
- Lynn Hecht Schafran, Risk assessment and intimate partner sexual abuse: the hidden dimension of domestic violence, 93 JUDICATURE, no. 4, (January-February 2010) at 161 (PDF)
- Annotated Table of Contents for the Intimate Partner Sexual Abuse Resource CD (.zip)
- Case Study Exercises for the Civil/Family Court Modules (PDF)
- Case Study Exercises for the Criminal Court Modules (PDF)
Graphics for Reproducing this Module (.zip)
- Download the graphic files (.zip)